Re: A simple STOL mod for Qs?

Michael D. Callahan <micallahan@...>

Was that on the Q1 or Q2, GU or LS-1 canard? Mike C.

----- Original Message -----
From: hrdirks <hrdirks@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] A simple STOL mod for Qs?

If I remember correctly, early Quickie Newsletters or Quicktalk
Newsletters
advised against spanwise elevator gap seals, because they created a severe
'Dutch Roll' tendency that could get out of hand.

Harold Dirks

From: "Michael D. Callahan" <micallahan@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:11:45 -0500

I'm not flying yet, but it sounds plausible. We know there is a
divergent cone at the trailing edge near the fuselage and dropping the
elevator only exacerbates the condition. I'm going to fill the
fuselage/canard intersection vertically and I'm still trying to figure
how
to seal the elevator hinge gap. Maybe the inboard end of the elevator
could
be extended up under the fuselage like a flap? Don't know about STOL but
it
might make it faster (and that's what we like!).