From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of
Mike Perry
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:53 PM
To: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Wing Load Testing -- Wing damage

I am still looking for ideas on repair of the wing prior to testing,
esp. the leading edge where it attached to the seatback bulkhead.

I would also like to hear any ideas for how to jig the wing prior to
testing since the wing is no longer attached to the fuselage.

Mike Perry

Mike Perry wrote:

I picked up the wing this weekend from Sam Kittle and brought it home.
The wing was cut out of the fuselage with a sawzall and their is damage
in two areas. (The fuselage is going to be used in a motor glider.) I
am asking for opinions on repairs.

The front edge of the wing attaches to the rear of the seatback
bulkhead. In this area the wing was separated with a rather wavy cut
about 1 inch from the bulkhead. This cut exposes the foam core but does
not enter the spar caps.

The rear edge of the wing has 2 cuts parallel to the fuselage wall and
about 1 inch in. The longest of these is about 3.5 inches in length.

In all cases the damage appears to involve the 45 deg Uni but not the
spar caps.

Two questions: Do we need to repair these areas before testing? What
repair would you do on the leading edge?

Thanks for any help --

Mike Perry

_._,___