Re: Night Flight Survey

Mike Perry

" Does the FAA require a landing light for night flight??" 91.205 (c) (4) says "If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light." By definition Experimentals are not "operated for hire." Position lights and anti-collision lights are required. (91.205 (c) (2,3))

Altho these are the rules for certified aircraft, similar rules are generally in the operating limitations of experimentals.

Mike Perry

L.J. French wrote:

Currently my flying Tri-Q200 doesn't fit your description of a tail
dragger, but the aircraft I am working on now will be. I fly my Tri-Q all of
the time at night and it has a landing light in the cowling. However, it may
surprise you that I do not intend to install a landing light in my tail
dragger for night flight because I land just as good with the landing light
turned on as I do without the landing light and so I don't even turn it on
most of the time. I use the runway lights on the side of the runway as the
reference and would not land on an unlit runway by choice. If it is light
enough outside to see an unlit runway and set up on it then no problem. If
it is too dark to see an unlit runway and set up on it then it is a moot
point. Lighted runways for me. The landing light is sometimes nice to turn
on in traffic so others can see me better.
Does the FAA require a landing light for night flight??

~LJ

,___