From: <jcrain2@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Disolving foam

Sam has it right Alan. Tapping on a section that is adhered to foam will sound different than taping where flox is underneath the fibers. The carbon fiber spar is covered in flox to make the bond with the foam and glass layer.

When you map out the area that sounds different you can then drill a few small holes (around the outside of the area but just inside the hollow sound) through the skin and Syringe a mixture of very wet micro and epoxie slurry into the holes. If the void is there the micro will eventually make its way out the other holes. Keep pushing the micro slurry in until it comes out of all of the holes. If the void is very large and the micro slurry mix doesn't come back out this won't be an easy fix but you still need to pursue the right fix.
Sam has been through it and knows best the way to attack.

Bruce

Larry - you don't know that. Unfortunately, Alan has a problem because he
is not sure what he is hearing. Is the tap test indication a void, or is it
the difference in plys in the construction of the canard?

Alan, how solid is the paint? Are there pin holes the fuel may migrate
through, or is it pretty solid?

How about sending a couple of photos? Do a tap test and map out, with
masking tape, the area of where the sound changes, then take pictures.

Sam

Looking for insurance? Click to compare and save big.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsHF6xf0W3RXn3uFChtqV65nwdv1vrjKYO5SHZ6KMQkqoOTmc65xDq/