Re: Level attitude

PROPELLERS@...

Jon, Thanks for the great info. It sounds like from the initial letter I
responded to is you still liked the Onan better than your 1835 VW.

We built propellers for the Global engine and considered it about 35 hp.
The new engine Scott Casler sells claims 45 hp but we have yet manufactured
a propeller for it so I'm not sure of the claim but for a little bartering
I can have one. My thought is if the Onan or perhaps the Suburu industrial
engine will fly the plane fine why spend all the modification time when the
plane could be flying in a couple weeks.

I would really enjoy flying the Q1 as fast a structurally able. We
manufactured propellers for a company called AED. They used a 38 hp 2 stroke, the
customers could exceed red line in level flight 170+ mph. This would be so
much fun but I prefer 4 stroke engines.

Thanks again for the information.

_http://www.princeaircraft.com_ (http://www.princeaircraft.com/)

Lonnie Prince
Prince Aircraft Company
6774 Providence St.
P.O. Box 2669
Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
Tel. 419-877-5557
Fax 419-877-5564

In a message dated 6/9/2009 11:19:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jon@... writes:

Hi Lonnie,

Yes, 1835cc, four-cylinder VW in a Q1. There have been at least four of us
that have flown with this engine (though different displacements)Yes,
1835cc, four-cylinder VW in a Q1. There have been at least four of us that have
flown with this engine (though different displacements)<WBR>. Two back
east long ago and Tom Solan (up in ID now) more recently (Tom's was a 1600cc
4-cyl). The trick i

Several folks have proven over the years that the Onan works. However;
IMO, you gotta be light and fly at lower altitudes. I'm not known for being a
lightweight and, at the time, was flying out of a 4,000' MSL airport in
Montana.

Several people installed the Global 1/2 VW engine years ago (Jim Masal
being one). I don't want to speak for anyone (especially Jimmy!!!! ;-) ) but I
recall from the newsletters and previous discussions that performance was
not as expected. Seems like they were getting about 200 fpm better climb
than the Onan but about the same speed. Someone correct me if that is wrong.
Based on this, I never felt that the 1/2 VW was a good option.

Jon