Re: Flight Report

Bruce Crain

Atta' goin' Mike and Kevin! It's a kick ain't it!
I took my 13 year old nephew Richard for his 1st airplane ride ever today. The weather was a cool 77 degree day and there were a few puffys slowly drifting by. He asked what it's like when you take off? Is it like being in a car? I told him it was like being in a car on a road in the air and that seemed to appease him.
When we took of I heard him say "and we are in the air"! We flew out east of WDG to do some maneuvering. I let him fly and he was ecstatic! He was so excited that it didn't bother him that he was handling the Q a little roughly "banking and yanking" with big movements of the stick! Had my head on the canopy at least once so I told him to slow down a bit.
We flew over a field that a friend of mine grows and cuts into a maze for people to walk into and try to find their way out. We banked at 90 degrees and watched a tractor and a person working on the maze. We then turned northwest to go back to the airport to land after about 1/2 hour. When he realized that we were returning to WDG he said " aww do we have to quit now I am having such a great time. We were cleared into WDG by the tower and I heard Rich say hey look at the clouds! He was so excited that I figured he might like to look at one close up so I called the tower and said "I would like to amend our clearance and head northeast we are having such a great time that we are not ready to land yet. So off we go climbing out in search of a cloud to attack! I asked Richard if he would like to see the inside of that cloud off our 12 o'clock? He said "Sure"!! So we pulled out our cell phones to take pictures of clouds and the ground beneath them. I turned on the auto pilot 7500' MSL and let the TriQ fly into one of the small puffys. Richard was in awe and wanted to do it again so I said I have always wondered what it does to a cloud when you come out the other side of it so we turned 90 degrees and came back for a look. Not much happens to the cloud. We are but a dot in the "heavens" I suppose. Richard wanted to do another run at a cloud and there they were just looking for a joust! So off we go with cameras flashing and Richard say things like awesome, cool, and that was wonderful Uncle Bruce!
We did get a chance to chase another aircraft leaving WDG to the east and that was way cool for Richard with us at their 6:00 high and fast!
So finally I returned to WDG to land with other traffic inbound and outbound I had to tell Richard we couldn't talk right now as I needed to listen for directions from Tower.
We then landed and taxied back and I asked him "so Richard who's your favorite Uncle Now". He said it is "definitely you Uncle Bruce". When he saw his Mom "Barb" he said cousin Jonathan has the coolest Dad!
He had also never ridden on a motorcycle and that was what we rode out to the airport (with his Mom's permission of course).
In all it was such fun to see Richard grinning from ear to ear! I enjoy giving those kind of rides! He had seen pictures of my TriQ and saw it in the garage being built but it is another thing to actually go for a flight! Richard and I made each others day just perfect! The Qs are an awesome flying and looking airplane!

Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/BLSrjnsEGrGS83eFr0lf0ZnXKLihxeT8tq6tSOMfpHDVIaPZmUasULbZlUM/