Re: need N number for tri q-2

Mike Perry


Need a few more details:

Was this a registered flying aircraft? If so, you are repairing a registered aircraft, unless the owner de-listed it with the FAA. Check the FAA database for the N-number.

If it was not registered then you can say you are using amateur built parts to complete an amateur built experimental aircraft. That gets tricky, you will need to talk to your local EAA group and the DAR they use, or check with several DARs to find one who is sympathetic.

Some guys go the experimental-exhibition route. That has drawbacks, but one of the FSDO guys from SAC gave a talk at Golden West a few years ago on how to cope with the limits. He talked about guys who just fax a single page that say in essence, "flying my [Warbird] N###XX to [location] from [date] to [date] for purposes of training." The hassles probably vary depending on how much notice and documentation the FAA wants at the local FSDO. Your local warbird guys may be able to help.

Too many guys have cheated in the past and now the FAA wants more proof that the plane is actually amateur built. (The Harmon Rocket in the hanger across from me was professionally built -- The owner is fairly blunt about it. Hurts the rest of us.)

Mike Perry

dragmiata wrote:

i bought a quickie tri q-2 on ebay from a guy that had no logs or documents on the aircraft or engine. it's a turbo revmaster. last flight broke the nose gear off somewhere around 2006 and it sat since. i have already purchased most of the needed parts to repair/restore it, but don't want to put too many hours into it unless i can get an N number and airworthiness certificate. if i can't do that i plan on selling it for what i have in it. or atleast selling the plane without the engine and finding another outfit to put it in. any help would be greatly appreciated. send any correspondence to dragmiata@... <>


Join to automatically receive all group messages.