From: "Robert X. Cringely" <bob@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] carbon

I'm working on an all-carbon Q1. It is intended for high altitude cruising so the carbon (100 percent carbon, except where internal antennas are placed) is there strictly to increase flutter resistance. The engine is a normally-aspirated 2275 flywheel drive from Great Plains. With no starter, nikasil aluminum cylinders and a pair of Bing carbs the engine weighs 140 lbs and can be mounted two inches from the (shifted back) firewall. I'll get 40 hp at 17,999 feet, which should be good for about 204 KTAS. An extra eight gallon tank will be behind the seat. Range will be four hours plus reserve. I plan to move the gear inboard like a Dragonfly Mk II and take the anhedral out of the canard. This will be my seventh homebuilt and third with VW power. It's replacing the Glasair TD I flew for 29 years before becoming a Dad late in life. My family plane is a Cirrus VK-30.

Bob

On Dec 17, 2009, at 8:46 PM, oneskydog@... wrote:

Sorry Larry,

I just checked it is back down to $50.00 a yard.

So what is your point? I think I was talking about using the right material
for the right job. Do you have any constructive input or are you just
trolling?

Regards,

One Sky Dog 550 hrs in 1 Dragonfly

In a message dated 12/17/2009 6:22:17 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
larry2@... writes:

Economics is also a big factor with dry carbon cloth over one hundred
dollars a yard.
Source??? If I could get anyone to pay that, I would go into
business. 100-300% is a great return on the investment.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@...