Not without 1-2 more layers of carbon and a much thicker canopy with a different type of multi-point latch. The weight would probably go up by 50 percent. You'd also need a turbocharger to provide the pressure. Personally I see no need to pressurize for those mid-teen altitudes but would want to do it if I was aiming for the mid-twenties. However that would require IFR equipment I think you'd have a hard time finding room for in a Q1. It would be better to start with a clean sheet of paper for a pressurized model, which would have much more of a round fuselage cross-section.

The only reason I'm going with carbon is to make the structure stiffer and raise the flutter limits.

Bob

On Dec 18, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Allan Farr wrote:

Would it be feasible to pressurize?
Allan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert X. Cringely" <bob@cringely.com>
To: <Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] carbon

I'm working on an all-carbon Q1. It is intended for high altitude cruising
so the carbon (100 percent carbon, except where internal antennas are
placed) is there strictly to increase flutter resistance. The engine is a
normally-aspirated 2275 flywheel drive from Great Plains. With no starter,
nikasil aluminum cylinders and a pair of Bing carbs the engine weighs 140
lbs and can be mounted two inches from the (shifted back) firewall. I'll
get 40 hp at 17,999 feet, which should be good for about 204 KTAS. An extra
eight gallon tank will be behind the seat. Range will be four hours plus
reserve. I plan to move the gear inboard like a Dragonfly Mk II and take
the anhedral out of the canard. This will be my seventh homebuilt and third
with VW power. It's replacing the Glasair TD I flew for 29 years before
becoming a Dad late in life. My family plane is a Cirrus VK-30.

Bob

On Dec 17, 2009, at 8:46 PM, oneskydog@aol.com wrote:

Sorry Larry,

I just checked it is back down to $50.00 a yard.

So what is your point? I think I was talking about using the right
material
for the right job. Do you have any constructive input or are you just
trolling?

Regards,

One Sky Dog 550 hrs in 1 Dragonfly

In a message dated 12/17/2009 6:22:17 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
larry2@socal.rr.com writes:

Economics is also a big factor with dry carbon cloth over one hundred
dollars a yard.
Source??? If I could get anyone to pay that, I would go into
business. 100-300% is a great return on the investment.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
larry2@socal.rr.com