Re: carbon

Mike Perry

Earlier Charlie wrote " Carbon should only be used where its properties are better than other materials it is not the magic material. . . . Best to follow the plans unless you are a qualified design engineer." and now "Just bring money and time." Absolutely!

You are talking about a total redesign of the Q type aircraft. Please don't assume these substitutions are simple. It is actually easy to make one part too strong so the load is concentrated in another part of the structure. There will be an article in the next Q-Talk that will explain exactly how I did that (in a test wing, not a flying airplane).

Earlier Jim Staud wrote: "If they did build an all carbon Q1, Q2, Q200, or TRI-Q, were they able to stress test it, and what were the results?" I would add, don't fly in one that had these kind of mods and wasn't stress tested.

This entire discussion belongs on Q-Performance.

Mike Perry

oneskydog@... wrote:

Just bring money and time.

Charlie

In a message dated 12/18/2009 1:14:58 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
afarr@... <mailto:afarr%40ihug.co.nz> writes:

Would it be feasible to pressurize?
Allan