Re: carbon

Leon

In the
use that I will be making, pultruded carbon rods can provide 280,000
psi in tension and 320,000 psi in compression.
I do believe that you have your numbers backwards? Nice to know that I'm not the only dyslexic Q builder :-)

If the Q had been
designed with CF spar caps, the plane would be both lighter and
stronger. The time to build would have also been significantly
reduced.

Maybe not. My carbon rod LS-1 Quickie canard weighs virtually the same as my per plans GU canard. The cores were more "dog boned" than I would have liked and I did not vacuum bag. I also used more material than needed so I wouldn't have to do as much fabric cutting. I'm guessing that if I used perfect cores, optimized the skin layup schedule and vacuum bagged I might be able to shave off 5 or 6 pounds.

As for time involved I'd say that it was about the same (not counting design time). If I were to do a second I could make some more user friendly jigs to speed things up a bit.

My carbon rod canard IS considerably stiffer. Stronger? I'd have to test each to destruction to be sure. I don't plan to do so.

Price from AS+S for the rod I used, as of last night, was a touch over $300.
Leon McAtee