From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Rick
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:07 PM
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Thermocouple compatible bulkhead connector?

Yes, but note that in a firewall connector you will expect a higher
temperature on the engine side compared to the cabin side. There will be an
error but it really is not significant. Even if you use the bulkhead
connector as the point where you convert the thermocouple metal wires into
copper (and you will do this somewhere, at least at the instrument) and
error will ocurr. If high accuracy is required, a second thermocouple is
placed at the junction to copper for "cold junction" compensation. But we do
not require that level of precision. EGTs are relative, and CHTs, well, if I
am operating say 5 degrees from red line I will already have taken action.

Rick

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com, "John
Loram" <johnl@...> wrote:

Hi Rick:
When you splice a connector into a thermocouple wire, you actually create
two junctions (the point I missed ): one junction is created where the
thermocouple wire is attached to the plug side of the connector, and a
second junction is create where you connect the thermocouple wire to the
socket side of the connector. These two junctions are of opposite
polarity,
so, if the two junctions are at the same temperature (as they would be
since
they are plugged into one another) they electrically balance out one
another
and will have no effect on the temperature measurement.

building like crazy, -john-
www.loram.org

_____

From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com