is the ECU not potted? I've worked with some military and radio hardware in the past
and every single bit that is expected to be in harsh conditions is potted.

I also question the use of D-connectors also when you can find easily available from a variety of sources.

On 2010-03-14, at 12:51 PM, Jon Finley wrote:

Clive,

As I have reported, this was clearly a builder error. I used lock nuts but
they were installed on a bolt that was too short, fell off, and caused the
problem.

I see no difference between doing what I did and incorrectly installing the
nuts on a connecting rod. When the rod/engine fails, you don't run out and
redesign the engine, you correct the assembly error.

In my opinion, this is NOT a safety issue. If you really want to improve
anything over what I did (excluding the error), install the EC2 in a
location that is not so hard to inspect. Mine is way up inside the hell
hole and is a real headache to inspect. In my opinion, this was the first
mistake that led to the error.

Jon