Re: Quickie AD notes

Leon

I think it would be a good idea to have a comprehensive list in one place for this type of information. While not every plane is the same (each needs it's own custom written inspection list) there are documented failures that could occur in others of type that probably should be collected. Loose and/or broken center elevator pivots is a recent example.

I doubt the term "AD" would be appropriate unless the failures are common. The Jim/Bob 6 Pack probably falls into the category of an AD.

Maybe call them something like KFC's?
Known Failures - Critical .... regular and extra crispy depending on severity :-)

Going back through the early news letters reveals several known failures and hazards, but as far as I know no one has ever taken the time to compile a list. I don't have the time, and I suspect no one else does to make a solo contribution. If there were an existing database that could be added to as time permitted it would be worth the effort - IMHO

Here is a link to a compilation of NTSB reports relating to the Q's. Someone (David Gall?)took the time to at least start on this project.

http://photos.imageevent.com/qdf_files/homebuiltaccidents/List%20of%20Quickie%20Accidents.pdf
=================
Leon - non political - McAtee

--- In Q-LIST@..., "quickheads2" <groups@...> wrote:

I'll ADd this to the website. Does anyone else have any?

Perhaps we should create a list for the single seaters as well?

Let me know.

Also just wondering if we should call these suggested mainteneace checks instead of AD's? Will calling them AD's make the FAA get involved? Just curious.

Dan Yager
Q-200 Under Reconstruction
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@> wrote:

Hey Guys,
I think we should put together on a web site somewhere a list of AD
notes for the rest of the builder/ flyer community.

I'd like to contribute a couple:

Q-AD# 1
Type Q: Q200
TT: 800 hours
The lower rudder phenolic bearing broke loose from the support
structure. Inspection of the Rudder hinge pre-flight found the damage.

Q-AD# 2
Type Q: Q200
TT: 900 and 1100 hours
The elevator center hinge was found to have abnormal up and down play
during pre-flight inspection. The right side was loose after 900 hours,
the left after 1100 hours. The pin inside the elevator was found to be
loose. A 4' long socket extension made from a piece of solid 3/8" stock
was used to tighten the internal pin. This should be done each time the
elevator is removed. Builders may want to use locktight on this assembly.

Q-AD# 3
Type Q: Q200
TT: 900 hours
After sitting on the main gear for 18 years the canard shape changes
enough to cause the main wheel alignment to camber out excessively
resulting in poor ground control on landing. Either the axle holes need
to be re-cut or the wheel pants removed and repositioned to bring the
wheels back into alignment.

Mike Q200 N3QP