Q-List Rules?

Mike Perry

Hello All:

I am asking for opinions and ideas about "The Rules" for Q-List. I want to see what rules -- guidelines, really -- we want now, and then try to make those rules clear to everyone (especially new people on the list).

Recently Roger made several posts about his proposed diesel engine for a Quickie. That's a new, untried engine and by the rules we agreed on in 2003, that should be on Q-Performance. It appears Roger didn't understand the rules, and I don't think we have been doing a good job of letting new members know the rules. Members publish interesting ideas on this list and then don't understand why they were sent off to the other list.

Background: November of 2003 Pat Panzera started Q-Performance after a poll in which 88% of the voters asked that Q-List be "a site with the necessary/correct information to finish their Quickies as quickly and accurately as possible." The general idea was to keep Q-List for building and flying standard Quickies, Q2s, Q200s and tested mods. Q-Performance was for untested ideas, design changes and new engines. Some of the information on Q-Performance is very interesting (4 place Quickies? Tri-Foil designs? 40 kg/37 hp Wankles?) but it has little to do with building and flying standard Quickies.

About the moderators: We have discussed this issue several times. Some of us like having two lists, some don't care. We generally agree that we don't have enough time or interest to police this issue. We can do a better job of publishing "The Rules" but we are not going to herd people around from list to list.

-- use a single list. If we do this the subject line must reflect the content of the post; also posters must explain where their ideas come from and what testing has been done.

Possible problems: If we loosen the rules, how does this group keep any focus? Do we have any limits (4 seat tri-foil Quickies?) and where do we send people with those ideas?

I've been reading this list since it's inception and it is usually a pleasure. I'm willing to put some effort into keeping it that way. I would like to see some input on how to make it a better list, especially what guidelines we should all work by.

Hope to hear from you all -- Mike