From: "Mike Perry" <dmperry1012@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:17 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Q-List Rules?

Hello All:

I am asking for opinions and ideas about "The Rules" for Q-List. I want
to see what rules -- guidelines, really -- we want now, and then try to
make those rules clear to everyone (especially new people on the list).

Recently Roger made several posts about his proposed diesel engine for a
Quickie. That's a new, untried engine and by the rules we agreed on in
2003, that should be on Q-Performance. It appears Roger didn't
understand the rules, and I don't think we have been doing a good job of
letting new members know the rules. Members publish interesting ideas
on this list and then don't understand why they were sent off to the
other list.

Background: November of 2003 Pat Panzera started Q-Performance after a
poll in which 88% of the voters asked that Q-List be "a site with the
necessary/correct information to finish their Quickies as quickly and
accurately as possible." The general idea was to keep Q-List for
building and flying standard Quickies, Q2s, Q200s and tested mods.
Q-Performance was for untested ideas, design changes and new engines.
Some of the information on Q-Performance is very interesting (4 place
Quickies? Tri-Foil designs? 40 kg/37 hp Wankles?) but it has little to
do with building and flying standard Quickies.

About the moderators: We have discussed this issue several times. Some
of us like having two lists, some don't care. We generally agree that
we don't have enough time or interest to police this issue. We can do a
better job of publishing "The Rules" but we are not going to herd people
around from list to list.

-- continue to use the 2003 rules with 2 lists. If we do this "The
Rules" need to be clear and generally available, so the list can be
self-policing.
-- use a single list. If we do this the subject line must reflect the
content of the post; also posters must explain where their ideas come
from and what testing has been done.

Possible problems:
If we loosen the rules, how does this group keep any focus? Do we have
any limits (4 seat tri-foil Quickies?) and where do we send people with
those ideas?

I've been reading this list since it's inception and it is usually a
pleasure. I'm willing to put some effort into keeping it that way. I
would like to see some input on how to make it a better list, especially
what guidelines we should all work by.

Hope to hear from you all -- Mike