From: Fisher Paul A. <fisherpaula@johndeere.com>
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection
To: "Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com" <Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 8:00 AM

(sorry Sam - one more data point)
On my last inspection (15 months ago) the FAA inspector (yes, FAA from the local FSDO) insisted that I have a compass. I asked for an explanation because I had a Dynon with the remote compass and he said I needed a direction indicator that worked if I lost electrical power. Again, I asked (politely) for him to please point to the regulations where this is stated. He tried, but could not find any such requirement, but "strongly suggested I have a compass". This conversation happened over the phone before the inspection.

So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a three dollar compass and stuck it to the dash with double sided tape. Problem solved. During the inspection he noticed that I did indeed have a compass and he let it go. I have no idea how accurate the compass is, I have never looked at it, nor do I intend to. That's not the point. The inspector wanted one, so I put it in.

So as Sam said - just buy a cheap compass, put a correction card on it and move on to the important stuff.

Good Luck Joseph, please keep us informed!

- Paul