From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Brett Gerber
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 7:30 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection

Just another thing with the FAA- Most of the time they are very picky with
your "verbage". Never will an Experimental Homebuilt Aircraft EVER be
airworthy. When I was doing my A&P Oral and Practical I had the FAA sit in
with my instructor to watch him. On a brake, the FAA (Doug Tape), asked me
this questions. I was stumped and so was my instructor. Then Doug asked me
what the definition of airworthy is: Must be in a safe condition for
operation , and must meet its TCDS (Type Certificate Data Sheet).
Experimental a/c do not have TCDS so never place Airworthy in any airframe
log books for homebuilt. When I had my Q- 2 inspected in May 2010, I almost
didn't get my A/W slip because of the data plate on my dual Mag. Any item w/
a PMA/FAA data plate has to have ALL AD's researched and complied with.
Luckily I had already done this and we used my program on my laptop so the
FSDO guy could see that my AD list was current and correct. Also, he was
picky on my Airspeed- I used Paint Markers to mark the instruments before
test flights were done referencing what Quickie stated. My red mark on the
A/S looked more like a range in his eyes so I had to use a razor blade and
make the line thinner. Also, if your instruments are marked on the glass,
make sure you have slip mark on the glass and instrument to ensure that the
glass has not rotated. My FSDO guy was very knowledgeable and helpful. He
was an A&P/ IA before taking the position w/ the Indy FSDO. Good luck
Brett Gerber Ft. Wayne, IN A&P Canard Builder Brett Douglas Gerber
D.O. McComb and Sons Funeral Homes (260) 426- 9494 From:
Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of Joseph M
Snow Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:36 PM To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection I had some "bad" luck
today....I decided to reschedule the FAA inspection. I do not want to go
into details. I just could not sign a statement in the Aircrft log saying
it was airworthy. Hopefully in two weeks.... Joseph --- On Thu, 12/2/10,
Fisher Paul A. <fisherpaula@...
<mailto:fisherpaula%40johndeere.com> > wrote: From: Fisher Paul A.
<fisherpaula@... <mailto:fisherpaula%40johndeere.com> > Subject:
RE: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection To: "Q-LIST@...
<mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> " <Q-LIST@...
<mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> > Date: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 8:00
AM (sorry Sam - one more data point) On my last inspection (15 months
ago) the FAA inspector (yes, FAA from the local FSDO) insisted that I have a
compass. I asked for an explanation because I had a Dynon with the remote
compass and he said I needed a direction indicator that worked if I lost
electrical power. Again, I asked (politely) for him to please point to the
regulations where this is stated. He tried, but could not find any such
requirement, but "strongly suggested I have a compass". This conversation
happened over the phone before the inspection. So I went to Wal-Mart and
bought a three dollar compass and stuck it to the dash with double sided
tape. Problem solved. During the inspection he noticed that I did indeed
have a compass and he let it go. I have no idea how accurate the compass is,
I have never looked at it, nor do I intend to. That's not the point. The
inspector wanted one, so I put it in. So as Sam said - just buy a cheap
compass, put a correction card on it and move on to the important stuff.
Good Luck Joseph, please keep us informed! - Paul -----Original
Message----- From: Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf
Of Sam Hoskins Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 06:08 To: Q-LIST Subject:
Re: [Q-LIST] N240JS Inspection Joseph, don't worry about it too much. Just
get a compass card and stick it on your panel. Write some numbers on it. No
worries. When I had my inspection, the FAA examiner (yes, FAA) noted my
compass card with no numbers on it, and signed off the inspection. Don't
worry about it and let's not spend another 100 e-mails auguring the point.
Sam Hoskins