Re: Introduction

Martin Skiby

Thanks Mike, I have read the Dave Gall report and it seems reasonable. I had also heard about the 6pack conversion and was planning on doing that also. Lot's of work to do first getting the shop ready again for a project. The hander is full of a Defiant that is just needing systems and completing, so I think we will build the wings at home in the garage.

Thanks for all the help and the update on Barry. He and I actually traded props to try at an even years ago. People thought we were nuts pulling props off at Jackpot Nevada, but Barry wanted to try my prop. No biggy.

I look forward to meeting the group and getting this one flying. Lot's of progress has been made to the bird. Is there any talk of someone again putting out the Kit?

Just curious.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...> wrote:

Hello Martin:

Welcome to the group. I waited for the Livermore gang to chime in but
they must all be out flying! So here is a little info:

Barry is still active in EAA chapter 663, Livermore. He no longer has
his Q200 but several other Livermore fliers have Q200s, esp. Bob Farnum
and Jim Patillo. Jim and Bob are the authors of the "6-Pack" which is
one major approach to the ground handling problem. I would study what
they wrote (Archives of this list, 12/21/01 and following) and
Newsletters 101 (Sam Hoskins' report on taxiing Jim's plane) and 108
(Bob Farnum's discussion of what the 6-pack is and why it works). There
are other variations on these themes (eg: differential hand brakes vs.
toe brakes) but carefully study what Jim and Bob wrote -- they have
consistent and reproduceable results.

I would also read Dave Gall's discussion of ground handling -- there is
no reason not to do the Gall wheel alignment and the 6 pack. It is
found on the Quickheads website under QBA. . . Resources . . . Gall
Wheel Alignment Doc

EAA chapter 663 has a Saturday AM breakfast worth going to if you are in
their area -- check with them for the current location.

Mike Perry

On 12/5/2010 7:10 AM, Martin wrote:

I would like to introduce myself to the group. My name is Martin Skiby
and I
live in Bakersfield California. I have been in the homebuilt world for
many
years and have owned and worked on many planes including a Vari-Eze
that my wife
had great success in racing cross country. I had the pleasure of being
involved
in the late 80's with a Q200 project that competed in the Cafe 400
with good
results. Because of the ground handling issues at the time the plane was
retired for a couple of years and in 1991 I purchased it from the
owner and did
the TriQ conversion on it. I flew it for several years and really
loved that
plane. Because of my short sighted view I thought that I wanted a Long
Eze for
more speed and fuel so I sold the plane to a guy on Florida. It was
totaled in a
hanger accident where a door flew off in a wind storm and took out the
tail and
main wing. OK all that to say here I am years later with a 19 year old
son that
has picked up the love for the Q-200. We purchased a virgin kit
yesterday and
well here we are. I know there are several flyers and builders in CA
and I just
want to get acquainted with you to see if I can get some advise from
time to
time and maybe my son a ride some time. After what I have read
recently about
the improvements in handing we would like to build the plane in TD form as
intended. Also can anyone tell me if Berry Weber is still in
Livermoore he had
a beautiful Q-200 and he and I flew together often. I dropped out of
the RACE
events soon after he built his Long Eze. Well that is it for now other
than an
invitation for anyone looking for a flying destination to drop into
BFL for a
visit.

One other thing. I am also working on completing a Defiant at the same
time my
son wants to start the Quickie. GEEZE...

Thanks to all,

Martin