Re: Benefits of streamlining

Mike Perry

I think the drag of the "aftermarket tail wheel" is less important than
having an airplane you can control on the ground. Also, the tailwheel
hangs in the disturbed air coming off the slip-steam and fuselage, so
perhaps less increase in drag than what showed in this video

However, there could be other solutions. A fairing on the tailwheel? I
remember seeing a D-fly with a fairing on the tailwheel. The owner said
he couldn't tell any difference in climb or cruise, however it was a
very small tailwheel. I don't remember who had that plane.

FWIW -- Mike

On 12/23/2010 1:30 AM, Clive wrote:

Nice one Sam,

That certainly puts drag into perspective.

Looks those aftermarket tails wheels that hang down are a high drag item.

Merry Christmas all.

Clive Gobxoy

._,___