Re: Benefits of streamlining Happy New Year

Jim Patillo

Charlie, you are right. They do become lawn darts when pointed straight down. The max speed my airframe has ever seen is around 240 mph during testing.

Are you running your new engine yet?
JP

--- In Q-LIST@..., oneskydog@... wrote:

Clive,

Some one could do the dive test with a GPS to plot the L/D = Velocity h/
Velocity v = slope of the exponential curve. Point one straight down I think
the wall will be a lot higher than 220 MPH. I have been at 180 indicated
in my old Dragonfly coming down final for a low pass with 55 hp. Low drag
and cubic horsepower proceeded by cubic dollars equal winning plane. Just my
$.02 and opinion not backed by facts.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson, Dragonfly builder
Ogden, Utah

In a message dated 1/1/2011 4:38:50 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
gobxoy@... writes:

There's no doubt drag is critical but if it's ones goal to have the
lightest and cleanest Q in the air, one should start that concept from the
first layup, not at the end of the project. Again, given the available engines
and HP, I believe this plane hits the wall at around 215-220 MPH no matter
what you do. Unlike Klaus' EZE , this airframe is not nearly as clean. If
Sam or anyone else for that matter ever goes faster than that, I'm all ears.