Re: First Flight soon

Martin Skiby

Great advise Rick, I always called several other builders in the area and handed them all a yellow note pad. They all walked around and took notes on things that they saw. I would then address everyting on each list prior to being ready. The more eyes on the project the better. The advise on the audience is right on. Just a few people for support and that is all you need. Call it off if you are not comfortable. In our case we have had a test pilot avaialble that has done several first flights in just about everything. It was nice hading it over to him for the first flight and evauation. I am sure you will be just fine and I am really excited for you.

Have fun and enjoy the results of your hard work.

Rick, The bulkheads are in and we are mounting the canopy next week. Also we will be cutting the foam and completing the wings also.

Thanks again for the great work,

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Rick Hole" <r.hole@...> wrote:

We suggest to our builders (Velocity, that is) that they keep their first
plans quiet (not meaning on the forum, but locally). If you have an
audience come to watch your first flight it could be harder to call it off
if you are hesitant for any reason.

That said, it is a good idea to have a couple knowledgeable people around.
We always have at least three people pre-flight without talking to each
other just to try to catch anything out. If not unanimous to "go" we ask
the pilot to delay.

I like to hang a digital voice recorder (video would be ok too) on the
intercom so the pilot can speak his observations. First flight is no place
to write your notes :-) And we take video from the ground as well. It
makes a nice keepsake and if anything is odd it can be a big help in
debugging.

Rick Hole

Sold my Q2 kit, still helping Scott Swing with N1711Q