Re: LS1 Foam Layout. . .

Rick Hole

Yes, you are correct that the shape of the wing is altered doing this, but the core templates are shaped to compensate.

-----Original Message-----
From: dan@... [mailto:dan@...]
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:51 AM
To: r.hole@...; Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] LS1 Foam Layout. . .

This is a response to Rick Hole's OFFLIST message (Show below). Rick
if you send an e-mail to Q-LIST_at_yahoogroups_dot_com it will be posted
to the Q-list automagically. ;-)

Thanks Rick,
The problem is that the LS1 plans aren't very precise. They seem to be
an addendum to an addendum, with various references to the Q2 plans.
The Q2 plans say that you line the T.E. of the templates to the Squared
off foam block, but it also says that you can leave the trim lines
dangling off the end of the foam if you want. So that leaves some
wiggle room fore and aft.

Then it doesn't really say how to align the templates vertically from
end to end. Except an obscure reference to "Water Lines" in the
Education Chapter (3). There are no offsets or exceptions listed on the
templates, and no vertical dimensions given. Just a rough sketch of the
GU canard templates tacked to the ends of the foam, with no precise
locations given.

If the templates cut the foam perpendicular to the wing, and then the
wing is swept back, and anhedral is added, doesn't this change the shape
of the airfoil to the relative wind (Along BL0).

I know that the templates seem to have worked fine for many of you, and
they resulted in several beautifully flying airplanes. I'm just
wondering how people actually cut out their canards, and get my head
wrapped around it. I'd like to write an article that makes the process
a little more precise than shown in the "instructions."

I appreciate your input.

Thanks again,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:27:26 -0400, Rick Hole wrote:
Hi Dan,

When doing the hot wires, it is important to lay up the templates on
the foam precisely as shown in the plans. That way they will fit
together with a very minimum of effort.

For the wings, the cores are cut in such a way that the joints are
perpendicular to the wing itself, not parallel to the axes of the
plane. At the center joint, where left and right wings join, this cut
is not perpendicular to the flat bottom edge of the foam. The foam
block has is cut to make the junction angle come out right, or very
close to right. The only joint which is does not "fit like a glove"
may be that central joint. You will place a rib there anyway.

The level lines on the hot wire templates turn out to be the same
level on both ends of the foam block EXCEPT when noted specifically
on
the plans and an offset distance will be given.

My wing and canard fits were essentially perfect in alignment.

Sorry for off-line response, I do not know how to post away from my
home computer J

Rick Hole

N1711Q Q200 waiting for oil temp probe then taxi test