Re: UV damage

One Sky Dog

5mm (~.200 inches) are you lucid?

One Sky Dog

In a message dated 7/17/2011 6:51:21 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
larry2@... writes:

Does anyone know if there is a decent way to inspect for UV damage once
primer and finish is applied?

UV damaged fiberglass is milky. One could pick an exposed area and sand
down to the fiberglass. Not good, but better than risking flying a plane
UV damaged.

I know...there shouldn't be any damage through the paint and primer,
but...well, I think most of us still store our composite planes indoors
just in case.

Do you really know what the UV status of that hangered plane? How good
was the original paint job? Tests that I have seen show that it takes
about 5mm of UV protecting paint over the whole surface. But time of
exposure and amount of UV encountered (10 years in Florida weather)
needs to be significant with the 5mm protection.

I am working with PTI and a local technical college to establish optimum
paint requirements. PTI produces mil spec paints, and is available at
Aircraft Spruce,

--
Larry Severson
18242 Peters Ct