From: Paul S <wypaul2001@...>
To: Q-LIST <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Sun, Oct 9, 2011 7:04 pm
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: We can do better!++Paul

Jim I was not able to find specific statistics on accidents of aircraft landing short. What I did find is here at the ACRO site which compiles statistic for the world.

http://www.baaa-acro.com/Statistiques%20diverses.htm

It certianly points to pilot error being the leading cause for accidents.

Paul

--- In Q-LIST@..., JMasal@... wrote:

Can you point me to any statistics which reveal that most short landings are due to fuel or mechanical issues? I need to change my thinking on this subject.

j.

From: "L.J. French" <LJFrench@>
To: "Q-LIST@..." <Q-LIST@...>
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] We can do better!++
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 05:02:24 -0500

Jim,
Good question. When I get my normal PC going again I am going to forward the agenda that i used for my first few flights Since the beginning of time, the first flight landings have always been the most problematic. So my focus was to do enough airwork to setup a good landing. Things like knowing your aircrafts slow speed characteristics, pitch-buck tendencies, trim setup, aircraft setup that establishes the proper descent rate, etc. My first flight agenda called for a minimum of three simulated approaches before final landing. More if that's what was needed to get approach and round out right. The caveat here is that on first flights, the engine cooling / performance may not allow you to do as much airwork / landing setup as you would like.
Not saying my approach to all of this is the right way, but is simply one persons methodology.

Regards,
LJ French

Short & simple from my mobile

On Oct 8, 2011, at 8:24 PM, JMasal@ wrote:

When testing a new plane/pilot combination should you be focusing on the landing phase or touch and go's
or should you be doing your basic airwork???

j.