From: "jcrain2@juno.com" <jcrain2@juno.com>
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Q-Flight CounselorPhil c.

I try to keep the passenger under 200. Can plan for a bit less fuel to make that work.Bruce

From: Phil Christiansen <rxforfun51@yahoo.com>
To: "Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com" <Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bruce,

I live in Southeastern Minnesota, just outside of Rochester, MN. I'm actually in Kevin Boddicker's backyard almost. We're only about 70 miles apart. So if I promise to loose a few pounds, maybe I can talk him into a few flights? If not, I'll loose that weight and get in touch with you! :)

Phil

________________________________
From: "quickieaircraft" <quickieaircraft@yahoo.com>
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Q-Flight CounselorPhil c.
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 02:06:12 -0000

Thanks, guys! My Tri-Q200 has been ready to fly for some time but its pilot still has few more weeks before I'll be ready (hopefully) for that, especially in light of recent incidents. I've been digging through the archives to attempt writing up proper procedures for my reflexor use, and this discussion added dramatically.

As I understand it (from reading only), the reflexor affects:
-elevator trim position
-elevator authority (via fore/aft lift bias)
-pitch attitude (and visibility)
-NOT airspeed (or only minorly)

T/O: requires slight (maybe 1/4 travel at most) positive reflexor (aileron TE down), but IAS must be above stall before rotation, else pitch up rotation will take place suddenly as the canard starts working.

Approach: Slight more positive reflexor than takeoff. If I understand correctly, airspeed isn't much affected, but it's mostly set for visibility over the nose here.

Flare: not used, leave set in approach configuration and flare with elevator.

Go around: return to T/O position?

Cruise: set some combination of trim and reflexor for IAS.

I'm practicing in a Diamond DA20, Cherokee Warrior, and Arrow. I expect to use tho DA20 most, since it's the closest in speed, at 130kts, small, and fairly slick, and the other two just for variety/complexity.

My practice program so far includes:
at least 10 hrs training towards a flight test in the preceding 30 days spread amongst 3 airplanes, which includes
at least 20 landings without flaps
at least 6-10 unusual attitude recoveries
at least 7 simulated engine outs from varying locations (noflaps, no slips)
at least 2 "impossible turn" demos
at least 1 takeoff aborted for a mechanical issue
at least 2 go arounds
simulated systems failures response
slow flight and stalls.

I'd like to add reflexor drills. I don't think there is a great way to simulate reflexor application. My current plan is having a copilot set the flaps or trim at unknown (but fixed) locations.

Also, depending on your location, I'd be willing to head your way and buy gas for your next flight in return hauling my 145 lb frame along.

PPL ASEL, a few hours in Sonerais but new to Q's

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, JMasal@... wrote:

Phil C.

We Q guys do not consider Dflyers as outsiders. Never have. They have been welcomed since day 1. In fact the Dfly newsletter editor was a major organizer of our field of dreams events and at one point we would often have a handful of Dflys show up
Jerry B's death is tragic. Dont fret unduly about the "risks" of your first flight. What we can say so far is dont make an approach low enough to snag an approach light, dont go for the numbers and realize the whole runway is yours. The vast majority of these aircraft dont end up in a pile. Focus your mind on the successes not the failures.

j.