Re: Wire suppliers

Rick Hole

No need to get into a contest here. Of course the load determines the
breaker size, but the breaker size determines the wire size. This is
standard aircraft stuff. The reason is this: You may be using one breaker
for several loads but each wire coming from the breaker absolutely must be
able to withstand the full breaker current rating, should a short-to-ground
condition arise, and that full load current must not cause the wire to heat
and burn through its insulation. "Burn" is what we really do not want to
happen.

FAA AC 43-13 (current version) is the reference and will chart out how to
take into account factors such as continuous or intermittent load, wire
bundles, etc.

Also, the ground wire in each case must be at lease equal in size to the
supply wire.

Rick Hole

_____