From: Kevin Boddicker
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:37 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Progress update

Jay,
Mine is very touchy. If you have the reflexor all the way up on TO it will
become nose high very quickly upon rotation. I fly with some reflexor up all
the time, with some down elevator. If I trim the elevator in flush I need to
adjust the reflexor to compensate for that. I very rarely us the elevator
trim. It just free wheels all the time. Only use it for a gust lock on the
ground. With the elevator free wheeling, I use the reflexor to trim for
level flight.
I do not rotate on TO before 80MPH, as it will just slow me down with the
elevator acting as an air brake. I have to hold forward stick until I get
enough lift on the elevator to counteract the sparrow strainers. If I did
not do this the elevator would be fully deployed by the sparrow strainers. I
have never tried to just let the elevators and sparrow strainers find there
own equilibrium. Figured it would take up too much runway. All the above is
with just fuel and pilot. Adding weight changes the whole ball game. That is
why there is a flight test period in Phase 1.
Rotate at 80.
Climb at 100
Cruise at 140 @ 2400RPM
Aprox 5 GPH
Beats the shit out of building!
Don't know if any of this is helpful, but there you have it. :>)

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 243 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Apr 9, 2012, at 8:00 PM, jay@... wrote:

Thanks Bob for your input. Seems to validate what Lynn was saying.

Glad you got your plane sold, but sorry we will not see you in a Q in the
future. Maybe we will still see you at some fly-ins?

Now just waiting for Kevin to chime in. He has a lot of time in his
tri-Q200 that has virtually no positive incidence on the canard relative
to the wing. Kevin? Care to comment?

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel -- Tri-Q, still building.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Bob Clark <kr2flyer1986@> wrote:

My tri-q200 with the 3 degrees up on the waddlow canard worked
perfectly. It would fly great with no reflexor required. I only required
reflexor to adjust for load.
N817rc now resides in Texas with the new owner.
Bob Clark
Ankeny,Iowa
Soon to reside in Florida!

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 9, 2012, at 1:02 AM, jay@ wrote:

Thanks Lynn and Jerry. Definitely some food for thought there. I would
like to get Bob Clark's take. He has about double what Lynn has. I
wonder if he still needs to use relexor when cruising?

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel -- Tri-Q, still building

--- In Q-LIST@..., jnmarstall <jnmarstall@> wrote:

My lift-off is around 65-70mph with about 1/4" UP reflexor.
Immediately
have to trim nose down after liftoff. As Lynn, I fly around with UP
reflexor until around 150mph when the reflexor goes neutral. I fly
final (depending upon weight) as low as 75mph (have AOA) and the
reflexor is full UP.
Jerry Marstall

On 4/8/2012 5:29 PM, N142LF wrote:

For my situation, I am pleased with my take-off performance but
wish I
had twice as much incidence. I fly around with up reflexor all the
time and certainly can not experiment with up elevator for
increased
speed as some have reported because I can not trim the aircraft to
fly
level with up elevator.

Regards
LJ French

Short & simple from my mobile

On Apr 8, 2012, at 1:28 PM, jay@
<mailto:jay%40scheevel.com> wrote:

I do not want to represent myself as an expert, but I have
measured
the wing/canard angles on six extensively flown Tri-Q's. As far as
know all of the owner/pilots seem to be satisfied with the
take-off
performance.

I am listing these measurements below and I ask that the owners
comment further if they wish. For this listing, positive numbers
mean
that the canard has higher angle of incidence than the main wing,
negative means that the wing is higher incidence than the canard.

Kevin Boddicker N7868B Canard-to-wing -0.2 degrees
Mitch Hargin N311DM Canard-to-wing -0.02 degrees
Lynn French N142LF Canard-to-wing +1.34 degrees
Jerry Marstall N625JM Canard-to-wing +0.82 degrees
Bruce Crain N96BJ Canard-to-wing +1.02 degrees
(waddelow&extended LS1)
Bob Clark N817RC Canard-to-wing +3.14 degrees

The spreadsheet from Martin's Tri-Q indicates his Canard-to-wing
is
+0.40 degrees, so that is within the range of numbers listed
above.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel -- Tri-Q, still building

--- In Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Mick Davies" <mickdavies1967@> wrote:

I would NOT have the canard at 0 degree incidence if
it√¢‚Ǩ‚Ã`¢s a Tri
Q. I had to:

1 put ballast at the rear of the tail
2 got Fast Little Airplanes (FLAPS) to make a larger nose gear
fork
to raise the nose
3 fit a larger diameter tyre
4 set the refexors to trailing edge up

1 was to shift the c of g rearwards, 2 and 3 to lift the canard
incidence up and 4 was to make sure the canard had more lift than
the
main wing.
Before doing this the plane wouldn√¢‚Ǩ‚Ã`¢t get
airborne, even at 80
kts, as the aircraft was
√¢‚Ǩ≈"wheelbarrowing√¢‚Ǩ¬ù down the runway.
Mick Davies
Tri Q200 G-BWIZ
Just finishing the flight testing on mine (several minor
faults)
done 18 hours and 35 landings