Re: Progress update

Martin Skiby

OK, So I will ring in here again. My original wing had the trailing edge reflexed up from the ailerons out to the tips by about 3/8 or an inch at the tips. Kind of hard to explain, but it was cut on the bottom side of the wing from the aileron to the tip in three locations about 1 inch apart. The trailing edge was then coaxed up at the tip and eased off so it matched the aileron location on that end. This was done because the plane would not keep weight on the tail as a TD. But it worked. When I changed the plane to a Tri I made not changes and found that it worked great for the Tri also. I used the reflexor as trim as well to speed things up. This plane was 225mph as a TD and I could get an honest 200 at a tri. Because I was too quick to cut the wing out when I got it back I did NOT check the incidence on it before I removed. However my father in law built the plane originally so I am 100% certain that it was built at 0' per the plans. This is why I put the new wing back in that location other than about 1/2 a degree to hopefully act like the previous modified wing. If I have issues I will make the same modification to the new wing, however I do not think I will have to as this new wing is a little heaver than the original because of the Wadlow layup. I can take come photo's of the parts of the old wing if anyone wants to see how it was modified. It may help some of you with the issues you are having. Let me know. Again this plane took 3rd place in the CAFE 400 in 1985 and would run over 225 flat out. I have over 300 hours on it as a Tri gear. The wheel pants are our design and worked very well.

--- In Q-LIST@..., jay@... wrote:

I do not want to represent myself as an expert, but I have measured the wing/canard angles on six extensively flown Tri-Q's. As far as I know all of the owner/pilots seem to be satisfied with the take-off performance.

I am listing these measurements below and I ask that the owners comment further if they wish. For this listing, positive numbers mean that the canard has higher angle of incidence than the main wing, negative means that the wing is higher incidence than the canard.

Kevin Boddicker N7868B Canard-to-wing -0.2 degrees
Mitch Hargin N311DM Canard-to-wing -0.02 degrees
Lynn French N142LF Canard-to-wing +1.34 degrees
Jerry Marstall N625JM Canard-to-wing +0.82 degrees
Bruce Crain N96BJ Canard-to-wing +1.02 degrees (waddelow&extended LS1)
Bob Clark N817RC Canard-to-wing +3.14 degrees

The spreadsheet from Martin's Tri-Q indicates his Canard-to-wing is +0.40 degrees, so that is within the range of numbers listed above.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel -- Tri-Q, still building

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Mick Davies" <mickdavies1967@> wrote:

I would NOT have the canard at 0 degree incidence if it’s a Tri Q. I had to:

1 put ballast at the rear of the tail
2 got Fast Little Airplanes (FLAPS) to make a larger nose gear fork to raise the nose
3 fit a larger diameter tyre
4 set the refexors to trailing edge up

1 was to shift the c of g rearwards, 2 and 3 to lift the canard incidence up and 4 was to make sure the canard had more lift than the main wing.
Before doing this the plane wouldn’t get airborne, even at 80 kts, as the aircraft was “wheelbarrowing� down the runway.
Mick Davies
Tri Q200 G-BWIZ
Just finishing the flight testing on mine (several minor faults) done 18 hours and 35 landings