Re: Your opinion? Q2 basket case purchase

Paul Buckley

Hi Paul

It is the general opinion of the group that the aileron reflexor is a better and more powerful trim device than the T-tail, consequently the T-tail is rarely seen.

The reflexor is simply a linkage that allows both ailerons to move the same way, up and down, in synchronisation.
This effectively loads or unloads the main wing thereby giving longitudinal trim.
......... and it would be easier to retrofit than a T-tail.

As regards this particular Q, is it possible to publish some detailed photographs, including those of any damage, on the Q list?
I assume that it has flown?
According to your description of the damage to the top right wingtip, it seems to be minor, so why do you say that it is a basket case?
Is there any other damage?

Pictures are definitely required!

Paul Buckley
Cheshire
England

TriQ-200
(with both reflexor and T-tail in order to really satisfy myself as to the attributes of both ......... actually the T-tail was already built when the reflexor came along!)

Still building after all these years....................... ;-( Yeah, yeah ......I know!! 'GET IT BUILT!'

----- Original Message -----
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 5:19 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Your opinion? Q2 basket case purchase

Hi Everybody,
I am new to the group and thought that I should introduce myself and get your opinions on the aircraft that I am looking at.

My name is Paul , I have a mechanical background and was an aircraft fitter in the Royal Australian Air Force for 18 years. I have some fibreglass repair experience, cowling, fairings mostly.

The aircraft that I am looking at buying is a Q2 that was imported a few years ago. There is some chipping on the right top wing tip which is about the size of an average hand. The fibreglass is exposed but there does not appear to be any internal damage. The aircraft overall will require an extensive overhaul (Hardware service or replacement control wire replacement etc. I estimate that it is a basket case but can be put back in the air. It comes with a factory overhauled revmaster 21 or 2300 engine and "some "instruments. The guy is asking $13000AUD (Think pretty much one to one on the AUD to USD exchange)

I realise that it is a "How long is a piece of string question". Do you think that it would be a worthwhile project or Q2s the type of aircraft that once they reach a certain point it is better to cut your losses and move on? Don't get me wrong, I have followed the development of the Quickies etc for many years and they are a beautiful aircraft. The second question is, Is the "T tail" mod worth installing, (if I can get a kit or make one that is) on a completed aircraft?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance,
Regards
Paul

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.2176 / Virus Database: 2425/5009 - Release Date: 05/19/12

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.