From: Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...>
To: Q-LIST <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Mon, Jun 25, 2012 8:54 am
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Test report summary

Congrats on the Phase 2 sign off!
Nice to read your report.
Keep up the good work. Hope to see you, and your plane, soon.
Kevin

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 255 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Jun 25, 2012, at 8:19 AM, Sanjay Dhall wrote:

Hello Q-folks:

I thought I would update you on my progress with flight testing my Q200. You
may recall I made my first flight a year ago on June 17, 2011. By a
coincidence, I crossed the 40 hour formal testing period on June 18, 2012,
and now have about 43 hours in the Q. In the early days of testing, each
flight was a milestone for me and I had reported on my first many flights.
As I continued to fly and test the plane, I felt that individual reports may
not have added significant value, so I stopped sending those, barring an
occasional summarized report in Q-talk. Now that I have arrived at the end
of my formal testing period, I figured I would sum up my thoughts on the
entire experience.

Phase 0 - Before first flight - the overwhelming feeling was one of
trepidation, terror and an incessant hurtling towards an inevitability that
I had trouble facing - that I had gone to all the trouble and expense to
complete this airplane, and now I had to do something - either fly it, find
someone to fly it, or something else. Every time I considered the first
flight, it would give me the creeps, and instead I would end up at the
hangar making minor tweaks. I would continue to talk to many of you for
advice and confirmation. I also consulted friends in the local EAA chapter,
but their familiarity with this peculiar airplane was limited. At the end,
the two design matters left, that concerned me most were CG location and
ground angle of attack. So I checked weight and balance again, and checked
ground angle. Decided that since the CG was currently at forward end of
range, I should try to move it back somewhat to be a little closer to middle
of CG range. Crawled into the tail with glass, flox, epoxy, bolts, and 11
lbs of lead plates. Also decided to change the tailwheel configuration to
raise the tail to make the ground angle of attack shallower.

Then there were all these questions in my mind, some concerning the
airplane, and others concerning me.

Will the engine keep running, will the tail stay on the ground on takeoff
roll, will the prop clearance be sufficient if it does not, will the control
hinges hold, would bouncing down the runway cause elevators to spring loose,
were the control joints free enough.

Will I be able to keep it going straight, will I be able to keep my wits
about me, will I be able to.

Phase 1 - At first flight - it flies like an airplane. Wow, it took off
without surprise, its climbing fast, plenty of power, now can I turn it. Wow
it turns just when I think about it, just like a model airplane. Hey, I am
well above pattern alt on downwind and climbing to my designated alt, I
better pull back on the throttle a little. OK now for that simulated landing
at a 1000' AGL. Now can I really land this.Now will it stay on the runway.
Phew . relief!

Phase 2 - First many flights - does the engine sound right???? Will it keep
running? Circled the airport gazillions of times. What's causing the rattle?
Learn its flight characteristics. How fast will it go, how slow, how steep a
turn. Also learning to land this airplane has been an ongoing experience,
still learning.

Phase 3 - Leave the airport and fly 20 miles away. Climb to higher altitude
when out from under Class B airspace. Tense times, watch temps, listen for
engine sounds, rattles, shakes etc. Each sounds ominous. But the engine
keeps running.

Phase 4 - Increase distance envelope - Go to a different airport and land -
increasing distances. Went to Pontiac airport 30 miles away, made a single
bounce landing, Next trip went to Howell 35 miles away, landed successfully
on a slightly smaller, narrower runway. Next trip flew to Adrian, 40 miles
away, landed.

Phase 5 - Winter - time to make changes to address numerous squawks
including oil temp, rattle (Magbox mods), identify cause of transponder
probs, radio probs.

Squawks

1. Engine rattle - cause - mainly mag box contact. My mag box opening
was a little smaller, more so with fiberfrax, etc.

2. Engine rattle when turning left - mag box contact

3. Engine carb too lean - not really, it appears to have been related
to change of sound while leaning mixture, but still resulting from magbox
contact. Opened carb, carb service, nothing wrong in the carb.

4. Oil temp on higher side - hovering near 225f (sometimes higher, as
high as 240f) at 80f outside temp - re-shaped fuselage belly under canard
root near firewall to create higher opening to expose more of oil sump,
trimmed and reshaped exit end of cowl to channel more air over oil sump, cut
wider front round intake openings from 3.75" dia to 4.75" dia (~40% increase
in intake area), reglassed, installed larger oil filter (more cooling
surface area), added blast tube from plenum directed at oil filter. Combined
effect from all these changes is a 15-25f oil temp drop. Now 90f outside
temp yields 220f oil temp with some climb.

5. Hot in cabin - added ducting from NACA vent on left side, and
install vent to direct air on instrument panel. Added second vent in back of
cabin, under wing. Still gets hot at 80f and sunny. This NACA vent has an
adjustable damper, but total opening is just 1-1.25 sq. in. So I still need
a bigger NACA, Also need to create a bigger opening to allow cabin air to
get to vents aft of seat bulkhead.

6. Gas smell in cabin. - Used a tissue paper rubbed at tubing joints
to see if there are traces of blue stain on tissue. Improved, but not
completely gone. I think I still get a faint smell.

7. Elevator torque tube attach bolt holes become loose. Bigger bolt
and shim stock installed, but the holes in Aluminum seemed to have grown
again from use. This single bolt to elevator torque needs some redesign.

8. Resonating buzz at high speed - coming from Plenum attachment -
solved by tightening plenum to case attachment, and moving small aluminum
inter-cylinder baffle piece.

9. Shaved and ground away larger clearance of magbox to engine rear.
Added reinforcement from inside firewall, and re-glassed exposed ply.

10. Oil drain down inside carb upon engine shutdown, and inside cowl from
carb - longer engine runs have helped reduce drip, also varies based on prop
position at shutdown. Lately the quantity is minimal.

11. Communication issues - radio functioned intermittently - tracked it to
interference caused by power supply/charger on tablet PC computer used for
GPS. Removed the tablet PC and charger, and radio functions well. Installed
Android 10" tablet with high brightness for GPS/moving maps, no need for
power, due to long battery life. No interference.

12. Transponder -ATC reported it intermittent, So removed and sent in for
service, but found nothing wrong. Ran tests with transponder test
instrument, shows plenty of output power. Must have been the same
interference from the tablet PC power supply, now removed. ATC has not said
anything about my transponder recently, they have not asked me to ident
either, maybe they are just being nice.

13. Magnetic compass off by 15degrees, when master switch on, because of
placement of Ammeter on left side of instrument panel with high amp wires
running across length of instrument panel and under the compass. Just noted
on compass correction card. Will move ammeter to right side of instrument
panel in future.

14. Airspeed gage reads high by about 15mph at cruise speeds. Have made a
note of that, with no correction made to instrument and rigging. Could be
due to my static air holes located just behind seatback bulkhead under
wings. May move it aft in future.

15. Fuel tank burp when main tank full. The unvented fuel cap sometimes
traps air pockets, which expand with temp. Caused on 2 occasions to spit
fuel past the fuel cap. I presume, in that 'spit' moment, the cap is forced
to vent due to air pressure. Left some permanent blue fuel stains on the
paint at the fuel filler opening. Now if tank is full, I leave the fuel cap
slightly open to allow venting, with rags near the filleropening, till
flight time. The real reason for this problem is that the overflow tube when
built to plans, is a little below the crown of the main tank. Since the
overflow tube is also a vent for the main tank, it becomes obstructed as it
has fuel in it when main tank is full. Will need to change this overflow
tube location and move it higher in the future.

Back to the report.

Phase 6 - Gingerly re-familiarize myself with airplane after minimal flying
through winter.

Phase 7 - Increase distances and flight duration. Began flying higher and
further, going out 60-70miles, circling destination, returning without
landing there, to achieve longer engine runtimes and flight durations,
altitudes up to 6500-7000', flight times of 1.2-1.4 hours. But constantly
watching engine params - Oil temp, cht, egt.

From time to time on these flights, I have had moments that ranged between
relaxation and euphoria, where everything is going fine, not worrying about
engine, sounds or gages and just enjoying the scenery all around.
Occasionally, have gotten into a playful state, so as to yank the stick
around, make steep turns, add full power and see how fast it will go. Fun.

Phase 8 - Remembering that this is a testing exercise, did climb and descent
tests at altitudes, as also testing for best glide speeds and best descent
rates. In the last 5 hours, added weights in right seat in 50 lbs
increments, using sand and gravel bags. In the most recent flights, had 190
lbs in right side, full fuel, 90f outside temp, noted differences in
performance during takeoff, climbout, and stepped climbs (to keep oil temps
in check) to 8500', and noting that there was still a 500-600fpm climb rate
available at that altitude, ~1200lbs weight and hot conditions. With these
conditions the descent and landings were a little more surprising, in that
approaches were somewhat short, requiring adding power to make the runway,
with somewhat heavier landings, and longer rollouts. Fuel consumption is as
would be expected from an O-200 at cruise.

Although, I am more familiar with the Q now than before, I have plenty of
reminders on just about every flight, during takeoff, landings and at other
moments, that there is a lot more to be learned about flying this airplane,
in all sorts of conditions. For example, other than at home base which has
7500'x150' runways, I have made landings only on 5000'x100' runways. As a
next step in my learning, in the near future I want to make landings at
airport with 3500'x75' runways. Also, I have tried to restrict my flying to
weather conditions that are decent, with winds no higher than about
15-20knots and directions are favorable. Will have to graduate past that
also. Oh, and at some point, try to do some cross-country flying as well,
actually go places!

As I progressed through these early hours, I have grown to really love
flying the Q. Every takeoff is exhilarating, every bank and turn is a rush,
and every landing exciting. But just when I think I am getting the hang of
it, there is a sloppy takeoff or a landing close to the edge waiting to
remind me to pay attention, and not let my guard down.

This has been a most rewarding experience. I hope to keep at it. I hope you
will too.

Thanks

Sanjay