Re: Spinners

Mike Perry

Have any of you done performance testing with and without the spinner? I
seem to recall Mike Arnold ran his speed runs without a spinner (for
weight?) and said it didn't make that much difference in performance.
Can't find a reference tho, don't know where I put his tapes. (Senility,
I know, don't tell the FAA!)

Any thoughts or experience?

Mike

On 2/24/2013 6:43 AM, Sam Hoskins wrote:
Thanks guys. I will make the contacts off-line. I have had a battle with
spinners for the last 20+ years and there are several issues.

- Aircraft Spruce doesn't seem keep them in stock, so they send an order
to their sister company ACS. This is time consuming.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sn4.php
- A spinner needs a front plate which is sometimes secured to the
spinner with four screws. The size (diameter) of the front plate
is dependent on the thickness of the prop hub. Since the Q-200s don't have
a standard hub thickness, we are basically out of luck if yours doesnt fit
the standard. Here is an example:
http://www.greatplainsas.com/scspinner.html
- While racing, I run my engine at 3,100 RPM. Sorry, I just can't help
myself.
- Custom fitting a spinner is a P.I.T.A!

My last iteration had a front plate that I made from Kevlar, then added
nutplates for the screws. The crack in my spinner occurred from one of the
front plate screw holes and extends about 1" toward the rear of the
spinner. What probably happened was the fit between the front plate and
spinner wasn't perfect and the screw put stress on the spinner.

I'll have to think this one over for a while.

Sam

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM, johnogr300 <johnogr@...> wrote:

**

Hi
Composite spinner, try Mark Langford KR2 site, as he has a photo
instruction as to the way he built a spinner, it may be help full.
Regards Ray.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Sam Hoskins wrote:
Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam