I most likely will use an epoxy from Advanced Polymeric Inc. Again I have not reached the point where I need to decide which one to order. They have epoxy's that will not soften up to 200 degrees C.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson

On Feb 24, 2013, at 11:11 AM, "Sam Kittle" <skittle@...> wrote:

Charlie,

What epoxy will you use that can take the heat?

Sam Kittle

_____

From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Charlie Johnson
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:07 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Spinners

Sam,

There is no getting around aluminum has a finite fatigue life no matter how
small the load. Coupled with a cyclic loading of 3100 rpm 100 hours gets you
16.6 million cycles.

I made a graphite backplate and spinner for my VW and ran it for 300 hrs at
speeds up to 3600 rpm and hours at 3400 rpm. No front bulkhead, the
backplate was a copy of the Dragonfly conical back plate. It is now on my
brothers plane showing no signs of wear or degradation.

I am currently in the slow process of making a backplate mold for my Corvair
it will be similar to a Vans aluminum back plate. I will use an epoxy that
can take heat to ensure no softening in service. I am using Belleville
washers now to keep a constant force on my prop hub instead of torque. Right
now I have a Vans aluminum backplate with a graphite spinner separated by a
glass insulating layer.

Regards,

Charlie

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 24, 2013, at 7:43 AM, Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@...
<mailto:sam.hoskins%40gmail.com> > wrote:

Thanks guys. I will make the contacts off-line. I have had a battle with
spinners for the last 20+ years and there are several issues.

- Aircraft Spruce doesn't seem keep them in stock, so they send an order
to their sister company ACS. This is time consuming.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sn4.php
- A spinner needs a front plate which is sometimes secured to the
spinner with four screws. The size (diameter) of the front plate
is dependent on the thickness of the prop hub. Since the Q-200s don't have
a standard hub thickness, we are basically out of luck if yours doesnt fit
the standard. Here is an example:
http://www.greatplainsas.com/scspinner.html
- While racing, I run my engine at 3,100 RPM. Sorry, I just can't help
myself.
- Custom fitting a spinner is a P.I.T.A!

My last iteration had a front plate that I made from Kevlar, then added
nutplates for the screws. The crack in my spinner occurred from one of the
front plate screw holes and extends about 1" toward the rear of the
spinner. What probably happened was the fit between the front plate and
spinner wasn't perfect and the screw put stress on the spinner.

I'll have to think this one over for a while.

Sam

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM, johnogr300 johnogr@...
<mailto:johnogr%40bigpond.com> > wrote:

**

Hi
Composite spinner, try Mark Langford KR2 site, as he has a photo
instruction as to the way he built a spinner, it may be help full.
Regards Ray.

--- In Q-LIST@... <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> , Sam
Hoskins wrote:

Somewhere along the line I saw destructions on how to make a composite
spinner. Anyone know who that was? I found another damned crack in mine.
I may have it welded, but did I ever tell you I hate working on
spinners?
What a PIA!!!

The real issue is with fabricating a true running front bulkhead.

Blech.

Sam