Re: Canard update

Skyraider

Thank you Emron,
 For clearing this up.

I have used Peel ply in fabricating a boat hull, over a male mold.
However,  IT WAS ALWAYS IN 80 +  degree temps.
so, I never has issues with the viscosity.
And the resin rich surfaces were not an issue either.

Very interesting research project. I didn't know that there even was one.
I stand edjumacated, now...      :-o

Thanks again

Charlie
(In Texas)

On Dec 20, 2013, at 9:27, <quickieaircraft@...> wrote:

Peel ply can leave a resin rich surface, hence higher weight.  UW and Boeing did some work on peel ply, see illustration on page 9 of http://depts.washington.edu/amtas/publications/presentations/Phariss_SAMPE_11-05.pdf

For good bonding and low weight, we want the blue fracture line and not the red.  My understanding is that this fracture line is controlled by chemical compatibility (btwn peel ply and resin) and also by working temperature. Low temps can cause high viscocity, which can cause problems with wicking out.  I suspect that a hair dryer and some light pressure with a squeegee should be able to reduce this resin-rich layer to an insignificant thickness for weight purposes.

I have had a similar experience to Mike Dwyer with large sheets of peel ply.

Emron

Try Q200 15hrs