Re: Runway excursion - canard bent

David Cyr

Regardless which canard you have, what the tail wheel configuration is, or anything else you do to the aircraft, you have a tail dragger that has reduced rudder and tail wheel authority between 35 and 60 MPH.  The rudder doesn't have enough airflow over it and the tail wheel is lightened by the main wing producing lift.  The most important modification I found to improve handling was the David Gall wheel alignment.  You should make sure that the camber of the wheels is zero at gross weight (toe-out contributed less to steering stability).  BUT, the Q2 can still get away on you in a botched landing, so I found the best way to keep it on the runway in these situations was to use reverse aileron steering.  As a low-time pilot, I practised this for about 10 hours (over a few weeks) before flying the aircraft so that this counter-intuitive stick movement became a knee-jerk reaction, as there is no time to think it through when you are heading for the ditch.  FWIW
David Cyr