Re: Q220?

One Sky Dog

Correction 1980

On Aug 12, 2014, at 7:04 PM, "Charlie oneskydog@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Dave,

Why? The Q1 inspired the Q2 and the Dragonfly. They were designed at the same time by different designers who were unaware of each other's activities. Jaws dropped at Oshkosh in 1989 and the lawsuits began.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson
Ogden, Utah

On Aug 12, 2014, at 6:32 PM, "Dave Covert davecove@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

"The Dragonfly has approximately 2 times the wing area"

Why? Is it that much heavier? Or is Dragonfly just allergic to QAC's amount of wing loading?

Dave

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Charlie oneskydog@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Dave,

The Dragonfly has approximately 2 times the wing area, up pops that drag thing again.

The Dragonfly has a lower wing loading and a lower power loading. A O-200 will take the airframe to max speed of 180 mph. Reg Clark had a fast one Expresso with a turbocharged Subaru.

They land slower take off slower climb through high density air better and have tons of rudder authority.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson
Ogden, Utah

On Aug 11, 2014, at 6:30 PM, "Dave Covert davecove@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

"getting there a little slower"

They look so similar...  why are Dragonflies slower? Is there 'frontal area' that much larger?

Dave

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Charlie oneskydog@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

If you love the plan form of the Q's and do not mind getting there a little slower you might want to sit in a Dragonfly. They are slab built so a little more shoulder room and the canopy is less rounded for more head room.

I am 6'3 and currently 195 lb. dressed, I have had a ride in Q200's and know the curved sideways posture.

My Dragonfly is tight but doable with enough headroom to wear a hat and head set with neck straight. I had to move the rudder pedals forward from the plans position. There is also an option of moving the seat back during the build. A project Dragonfly can be modified easier than a Q for high percentile people.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson
Ogden, UT

On Aug 11, 2014, at 11:49 AM, "Dave Covert davecove@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I had the opportunity to sit in a Q200 a couple of weeks ago, and while I love the aircraft, the cockpit lip bit into my left deltoid and I had to hold my head at a 45 degree angle to get the canopy down.

At 6'3" I am about 1.10 times the size of the average male in height and shoulder width and so I have to wonder what would be the aerodynamic results of building a Q200 with all dimensions multiplied by 1.10  (thus the Q220, get it?)  Assume a 110hp-120hp motor.

My impression of the overbuilt physical strength of the Q200 leaves me with little doubt about the layup schedule being able to handle the weight of the additional material.

Any thoughts/opinions/observations?

--
Thank you for your time,
ɘvɒⱭ