Re: Q2 LS1 Carbon spar?

Paul Buckley

David J Gall

 I would suggest that you get your 'facts' right and read what I have written and get it into the proper context.

I do not offer advice, only suggestions, and I have not implied that the Waddelow canard "is a stock LS-1 canard minus the carbon spars"
This is what I wrote:-

The two canards are completely different structures ......... if you want the LS1 you have to have the spars and you cannot modify the GU. (TRUE)
However, if you plan on building a TriQ then you can dispense with the spars, but this is only for the tricycle gear Q. (TRUE)
It is called the 'Waddelow'  canard, and is an LS1 aerofoil just the same but without the spars because it is not subject to landing loads. (TRUE)

The next question from any sensible person would be 'How do I build a Waddelow canard?'

Furthermore:-

Mark Waddelow had nothing to say about the GU canard, and certainly did not make an engineering analysis of it.

He certainly did make a reference to the carbon spars in the LS-1 not being required for the Tri-Q, that was the whole thrust of his redesign.

He certainly did make an engineering analysis of his sparless design, which is called, not surprisingly, the Waddelow Canard!

The Waddelow Canard certainly requires more glass than the original carbon spar LS-1 canard ....who has said it doesn't?

The Waddelow canard certainly does not require "10 spanwise plies of UNI to repair the cut which is required in order to remove the anhedral" because it is built without anhedral in the first place!

Furthermore, your paragraph six (below) would appear to be, even to the most uninitiated, absolute nonsense.

>Generally, root bending moments are the controlling factor in wing (canard) structural design. The bending moment at the root of the Q2/Q200 canard is approximately the same for flight loads (4g) as it is for ground loads, hence, the structure must be the same regardless of whether or not it is "subject to landing loads." <

What you are saying is that the landing gear (canard) is not subject to any landing loads that are more than flight loads.
Really?

Paul Buckley
Cheshire
England