Re: Q2 LS1 Carbon spar?

Mike Perry

Hello Jim:

I should have been more specific:  It is hard to WIN a suit involving experimental aircraft, but it isn't hard to file one.  Sometimes defending yourself costs so much you go out of business anyway -- that's what happened to QAC if I remember correctly (they won the appeal but went into bankruptcy anyway).  And you are correct -- those are risks that keep people from publishing the info I'm looking for.

The (former) editor of Q-Talk probably knows better than me, but I don't remember 3 spar plans in the back issues.  In fact I don't remember any suitable for a Q-2 or Q-200 (variants for the Tri-Q certainly were, and Alan Thayer's spar-less Q-1 canard).

My own project is stalled by a canard problem -- the original builder did not assemble the canard (LS-1) per plans.  Thus my interest in a replacement spar.  The spar sweep is completely wrong, wheels 6 inches aft of proper location.  That's probably reparable, but if he didn't do that right, should I trust any of the rest of his work?  Hard Question.  I can buy a replacement spar from Fast Little Airplanes, ~ $3700 (and worth every penny) but it's hard when I'm not sure about the rest of the project.  I guess the "sweat equity" approach would be hard also.

If you could point me at a spar design I could build and use in a Q-200 I would appreciate it.

Mike

On 9/3/2014 10:28 PM, JMasal@... [Q-LIST] wrote:

Mike, I dunno why you feel you took a hit for an innocent question (or why I should feel I took a hit for downplaying freedom of speech which I don't), I'm just answering your question. I think I have been involved in exp aviation longer than you and have seen much more than you have. Maybe not, But if it is hard to sue the builder or pilot what do you think brought an end to Quickie Aircraft Corp? I was around back then. I have even heard that legal irritation played some kind of role in moving Rutan Aircraft Factory out of the homebuilt arena but that is probably speculation.

If you are ignorant of the engineering there are engineers who are not and you could engage one for a fee, do the testing then be the big gorilla in the Q spar world (like Thayer was trying to do). It's not a problem.

I'm not suggesting you are one of these guys, but after 35 times at Oshkosh keeping my ears open I have always found a class of humans who want somebody else to design something  for them FOR FREE and to their specs then hold their hand thru construction or installation. And then I have a friend who gets to yakking about a pet idea gets many other guys chasing their tails in free speech but has not yet bent metal, cut foam or mixed a cup of epoxy. Yas it's their free speech but using my free speech that's a big fat waste of energy in most cases. You can't accomplish anything by just yakking about your dreams. I agree it is fun to do however.... but not for everybody.

Spar-wise I DID consider the possibility of a different spar and I even decided how I would do it and test it but then I got 3 tubular spars from an abandoned kit. I don't blabber about it because I haven't cut foam yet.

There are at least 3 possible and doable alternate spar plans that have been considered and all of that I wrote up in back issues of QTALK. One,maybe 2 have been test flown by now. It's not likely anybody is going to hold your hand and show you exactly what to do.

j.