Re: [c-a] foreflight

Webcave

I second that on the "Highway in the Sky". Should be a standard feature on any flight mapping system.

I would also like to see the cones of safety feature which gives you a circle showing your maximum or specified glide distance from your present location and altitude. I especially like that feature for night flights, we have lots of airports in the midwest so I have plotted night flights using the cones to minimize the flight zone I fly outside of glide distances.

JackM
Veze

I have been looking at this feature.

Pretty amazing what you get for so little. I'd recommend getting the AHRS to make it truly functional.

I have always liked the GRT highway in the sky that draws concentric boxes & has an anticipator ball.

For me, it made approaches really simple. It would be great if they had that feature also!

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM, to tu totucomm@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

That's neat.

Now I wish they would re-label 'maps' to 'charts' so to appear as a serious aviation product.      And I wish they would add a 'navigation trail' (navtrail) showing a trace of where you've been and can export it.     I wrote them a couple times on both of these things.

On the nav-trail feature they wanted to correct me with "you're talking about a breadcrumb feature".    I said "NO!  that is a web-page developer's term.     Jets do not make breadcrumbs in the sky, they make contrails."   The guy was probably a user-interface developer and not a pilot.     Hopefully they prioritize these things ahead of a link to Facebook.   The pilots there need to keep the UI developers in check.

Tom

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:00 AM, mulqueen@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

ForeFlight has added a synthetic vision upgrade to their popular iPad-based flight-planning software, the company recently announced. The upgrade provides a three-dimensional view of terrain and airport features, and dims or brightens to simulate daylight and night conditions. The Stratus ADS-B receiver is not required to run the feature, the company says, but with Stratus 2, the built-in AHRS "drives a super responsive pitch and bank instrument in the center of the Synthetic Vision view."
With AHRS, the upgrade provides a "backup glass cockpit on your iPad" that can help you stay aware of your position and surroundings, the company says. Without the Stratus AHRS, the horizon at the center of the synthetic vision view remains fixed, and displays GPS-derived ground speed, altitude, vertical speed, track, and an HSI display with course deviation indicator. The feature works in either split-screen or full-screen mode. It's available to current subscribers for a $25 annual fee. A full review of the new upgrade will be featured in the February issue of Aviation Consumer magazine.

JackM
Veze