Re: nylaflow question

Rick Hole

Has anyone had experience with MIL-PRF-83282 or MIL-PRF-87257 with improved fire resistant composition?

Rick Hole

From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...]
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:55 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: nylaflow question

MIL-PRF-5606A has a flash point of 343°C (649°F). I understand this is 2x the Flash point of the standard red stuff.  So if the Nylaflow line pops off and sprays brake fluid on your rotor you may avoid a fire with the good stuff.

This is way more critical for you nose draggers than for us tail draggers.  I still have 30 year old nylaflow with the standard red fluid.  I've been meaning to purge that fluid because I have a can of the Mil stuff on the shelf. One day...

Mike Dwyer  N3QP Q200

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 12:56 PM, secondfork@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Nylaflow becomes brittle over time - accelerated by exposure. I replace the flexed and exposed sections on my Lancair 235/290 every few years (PM). It WILL fail, eventually. I replaced the fixed sections with alum tubing, so periodic replacement of the nylaflow sections is quick and easy.

Nylaflow is very inexpensive. Why take a chance?

Here's a link to one of many references:

www.
angelfire.
com/ pa5/parag/CHAPTER5/CHAPTER5.pdf