Re: Canard mounting

Pat Panzera <panzera@...>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Finley"

Lynn,

What you describe is what I have for the GU canard although
it's accuracy is
in question. I will double check it per the core cutting
templates and
bring with me to Ottawa.
Accuracy is totally in question, and without it, the whole
exercise if for not. The template is of the foam core, and does
not allow for the multiple layers of glass, nor the overlapping
of it.

Then comes the part of aligning a 2 dimensional jig with a 3
dimensional wing. Remember, we have tons of anihedral (sp?) so
any misalignment of the jig from being parallel with the
fueslage's centerline will throw off any measurements.
Additionally, the jig it self must be plumb or you'll get an
inaccurate reading.... and with that, the wing being measured
must be leveled span-wise. And from what point on an existing Q
will you hook or but the tape measure to establish BL48.8?

It's not just a matter of walking up to an airplane and plopping
down a jig with a level on it.

IMHO, the only way to check one of our airplanes, it to make
templates from the prototype (or one that we know flys well) and
transfer the template locations to the ground. We'd also need a
way to reestablish the waterline on each ship being measured.
Some of us may not have installed a bubble level into the
fueslage at the time of building, and since the initial jigging
of the fueslage is arbitrary at best, one simply can't use hard
points such as the top of the rudder fin, or the forward edge of
the canopy.

I'm totally behind the effort, and hope the best for all
involved.

Pat

Unfortunately, my canard template is for the LS-1. If
someone
could cut
out a female template for the GU, we would have both for
comparisons of all
aircraft. Take the hotwire template for cutting the canard at
BL48.8 or
therabouts - lay it on a piece of fiberboard with the
waterline accurately
lined up with one straight edge of the board and trace the
template, cut it
out such that the female portion will accurately rest on the
top of the
canard. The digital level would be placed on the straight
surface
on the top
which should now represent WL.
Does someone else have a better way to quickly provide this
reference??

Lynn