Re: Epoxy/UV question

Larry Severson

.005in of PTI PT-799 paints have been tested out to 30 years with NO UV damage to the underlying fiberglass part. They have also recently became able to produce a limited range of colored paints (up to dark blue) that prevent the surface temperature from affecting the underlying epoxy which will be at room temperature. Finally, they have a super hydrophobic additive that I have tested. It acts exactly like the videos showing Rain-X products working on windshields. Further testing is necessary, but ice formation MAY NOT happen in flight. Static test results in RIME ice that is easily removed.

From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:21 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Epoxy/UV question

the epoxy will chaulk over and appear white, if you left it in florida for one year it would form a small thin film of white chaulking. the good news is that the chaulking usually inhibits the uv from further penetrating. if you leave it out there in blasting sunlight for a few days that probably won't impact it, for a few weeks you will see signs of chaulking. if you have humidity or water thrown into the mix it would be worse. You can sand down the chaulking to get rid of it but that means you will probably cut into the glass and may affect integrity of the structure. throw a tarp on it and wrap it with bungee cords that should keep it safe.

tony

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:24 AM, jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I have always been very careful not to expose my glassed structures to sunlight. I now want to move the plane outside to clean my shop and to wash the dust and amine blush off.

My question is: How long can I leave the plane out in the sun without damage? Keep in mind that it is not painted and largely not filled yet, so the raw structure would be exposed. Thanks.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, still building