Re: Cabin door redux

Larry Severson

1.5 years for an experienced Q2 builder, especially with help, seems reasonable. But for a first timer, good luck.

From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:44 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Cabin door redux

This is a horrible horrible mod.  14 lbs!  The factory design is probably 4 pounds.  Visibility out that 4" thick frame must really suck.  How many years did it take to redesign it?  Years of your life you could have spent flying.  I bet it took longer for you to build that canopy than it took for my entire airplane (1.5 years).  This is a problem with many home builders, they want to add the kitchen sink, take 20 years to do it, then the thing flys like a brick.  Stick to the plans and get it done!

Sorry to be so blunt but this is past crazy!  I got money that says he never flys it.  Anybody want to bet me that Jay is flying in 5 years (cause I can't collect on never)?

Mike N3QP Q200

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 1:06 PM, jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I have nearly finished the cabin doors, adding external frames, seals and I stiffened and strengthened the whole assembly. Also added forward stops/rests.

The doors now fit and seal and operate smoothly in addition to being secure in the forward/open position, so should not be adversely affected by the propwash on the ground or taxiing. Here is a video of operation.

Still have a few more plies to reinforce and close out the interior of the door, but this video is pretty much the finished product. Both doors, plus all hardware weigh a total of 14 pounds.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q N8WQ, still building

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/02V2_giAL4M