Re: Convert from Tri Gear back to tail wheel

Murry Rozansky

The wheels at the ends of the canard were one of Burt’s bad ideas. You are going to do a lot of work to make the plane more difficult to handle on the ground with potential structural problems. If your tri-Q is working fine, don’t take it out of service and screw it up. Buy a taildragger?

Sent: Monday, September 05, 2016 7:40 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Convert from Tri Gear back to tail wheel

Ok group.  I have a Tri Q 200 that my son and I just got flying again.  It was built by my father in law as a tail dragged and I converted to Tri gear in the 90's.  My son has a passion for the tail whelk Q200 so asked me about putting it back that way.  So NO I did not straighten the canard when I did the Tri gear so we should be able to build the structure at the end of the canard and re-insert the tail wheel.  Sounds easy right?   So my question for the group is what are the best wheel and brake set up to use?  We have toe brakes now with Matco great but I assume with the Gall alignment we need to use something else.  I would very much appreciate some guidance here on wheels, brakes, tail wheel springs etc..

Much appreciated folks.