Re: Canard mounting

Hot Wings

It seems to me that the actual WL used in the initial jigging of the
aircraft is somewhat irrelevant to the task at hand if I have been following
this correctly. What we need to do is establish the "relative" angle of
incidences between the main and canard. Additionally it would be nice if
there was a quick way of putting a measuring device on the prop flange to
determine its orientation to the canard and BL 0.
The actual angle that the fuselage has while flying, to me at least, is
of secondary concern. A "misalignment" of 3 full inches when the fuselage is
initially jigged up is only about 1.2 degrees and is probably as much as
anyone would have messed up even if they used the split lines for the water
lines. I don't see 1.2 deg making much difference in the drag of the
fuselage or it's interaction with the lift of the wing(s).
This should simplify the measuring process. Wish I had time to attend
Ottawa and help out but I just don't see it happening this year. For sure
next year, and I plan to fly..........in my Q
=======================================

In a message dated 8/9/00 3:09:51 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
panzera@... writes:

<< IMHO, the only way to check one of our airplanes, it to make
templates from the prototype (or one that we know flys well) and
transfer the template locations to the ground. We'd also need a
way to reestablish the waterline on each ship being measured.
Some of us may not have installed a bubble level into the
fueslage at the time of building, and since the initial jigging
of the fueslage is arbitrary at best, one simply can't use hard
points such as the top of the rudder fin, or the forward edge of
the canopy.

"Think outside the box - but fly in the envelope"
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bd5er/Qpage.html">Q-2 page</A>
Leon McAtee