Re: Bolt torques

Richard Thomson

Hi Jay,

You say AN4 which I presume you are relating to the elevators, the ailerons runs are AN3, unless I have missed a mod.

It partly depends on how good your hole tolerance is, I used a 3/16th Taper reamer to finish the holes and they are spot on, so no slop with the bolt.

I used a bolt length that made sure the shaft was bearing on the shank both sides, and a washer, or two if necessary, each side then just snugged them down so they wouldn't freely rotate.That way there is no shear on the thread.

If you use a torque figure it may deform the pipe and preload the bolt.

Richard T.