From: "Dorothea Keats dkeats@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
Date: 7/20/17 9:47 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Don't know name

  Jerry---------  The Dragonfly had AN3 bolts for the elevators and
ailerons. I tried to make my holes as tight as possible, but started to
develop a little slop. Maybe 1/8 inch. One day while flying about 150
MPH the entire canard started to bounce terribly. I had heard about
flutter and immediatly pulled back on the stick to load the elevators
and slow down.
Headed back to the airport and couldn't fly over 110 or it would start
to resonate.  When I landed I checked the elevators and there was about
1/2 inch play now. Grounded the airplane and at that time I wasn't the
only one having problems and Rex Taylors had come out with a mod to
install a positive connection to the elevators at multiple points.
Twenty some years later and 500 hrs and no flutter at all. Cruise around
150--160 and show off at 180 with no fear of flutter.
When I build my next plane I am going to incorporate this method into ,
both the elevators and ailerons.
Most of this info is available online somewhere in the old Dragonfly
newsletters.  ---------------  Canada Chris

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: