Re: Important Items for a Long Cross Country

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Nose tire tube for sure on tri-gear. I carry both main and nose tubes

-------- Original message --------
From: "Phil Lankford britmcman@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...>
Date: 12/20/17 5:40 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Important Items for a Long Cross Country

Consider carrying along tire inflation and tire repair items.

Phil

On Dec 20, 2017, at 9:08 AM, jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Your job sounds great. I am glad you landed that.

As far as what to carry, I have a suggestion. I have a good friend who is a pilot of just about anything that flies. He does a corporate pilot job in a biz jet a couple times a month. He carries a "burn bag" fireproof thermal bag for the possibility that one of his ipad, iphone, etc. etc. batteries decides to melt down. He says he would just throw the device in there and seal it up. Would reduce a frightening cockpit emergency to a minor incident.

With all of the lithium powered devices we all carry now, it seems like a good idea. There is no way to put out a fire on those devices once the batteries start to burn.

I suggest you take Bruce's invitation to go to Enid. This time of year, the southern route is the only sure way to go. I have prepared a flight log for you from Enid, the first leg is 2 hours, with no other leg longer than 1.5 hours assuming a true groundspeed of 140 kts. In this route flies directly over many other suitable airports for your quickie. If you can go to 10500 feet MSL, you will have about 2000' of clearance over the highest points along the route and never be out of radio range for flight following. The route goes as follows:

Enid OK
Dahlhart, TX
Moriarity, NM (east of Albuquerque)
Grants, NM
Winslow, AZ
Prescott, AZ
Bullfrog/Lake Havasu AZ
Twentynine Palms, CA
..then over Palmdale and into Mojave

I have flown into most of these airports, only never having visited Enid and Twentynine Palms. All the others have long good quality runways and daylight attended fuel.

Wishing you clear skies and smooth flying!

Oh, one other thing: remember to watch your airspeed carefully on final, as you land at higher and higher field elevations. It is easy to get fooled because your groundspeed is significantly higher for the same airspeed so your visual ques are different than you are used to at lower field elevations. At the higher altitude fields you will think you are coming in too fast, but you are not. Believe your airspeed.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q, stilll building

<Q200_navlog.pdf>