Re: Strainers

Matthew Curcio

I have seen some that have the strainer at the mid span but in that case they give the strainer more span as it is presumably less effective when out of the prop wash.  I have had multiple close calls even with people who should know better trying to use the strainer as a step so I kind of think moving it out is a good idea despite the weight penalty.

On that note I have not read in the manual how it advises to set AOI of the strainer but I suspect it may be vague. I have asked around on this subject a bit because my q is quite divergent in pitch. I can get it trimmed out decently in roll and pitch but it’s more of a balancing act than anything, especially in pitch. I’m fairly certain this has to do with the strainer. This is an especially unsafe characteristic since the q trims the feel of the stick not the control surface. It’s one of the items on my list of things to sort out. If I was building a q I would leave the strainer unfinished before first flight and build it such that you could adjust the angle before permanently glassing it in place. At some point, during phase one flight testing, do a series of pitch doublets with varying AOI on the strainer to find the best angle.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Jan 21, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Dorothea Keats dkeats@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

 Jim---------  The reason I ask about the strainers, is that they look
like a step to look inside to a 10 year old.
 On another topic, I was reading some of the old newsletters and saw
where one fellow added another 2 degrees of incidence into his canard on
his Q200 to get it to fly better.
Should I change the incidence.? I have read nowhere else , others having
problems. I have the digital levels and all the lazers so I can get it
very precise. I would think built to plans is fine.
 Seeing as Sam has just finished his new canard,  and he gets SPEED ,
maybe he can speak up.
For another update.  I have my fuselage together with  the tail spring,
stab and rudder installed.[ Mass balanced]. Have the header and main
tank installed. Did a balloon test on both tanks and came back successfully..
 I have the reflexor built and the tail detachable. Elevators and
ailerons finished. Starting to manufacture the dual control setup
Canopy hinges next.  Any body want any pictures let me know and I'll
send them along. Still having fun---------- Canada Chris