Re: Accident summary interim report

Brian Hutchinson

Thanks for the report sir. I think such provides direction for further consideration. Of note was the fact that all propeller failures were of craft powered with an O-200. I think that this statistic could be at least in part less related to the engine type itself and more related to the number of planes utilizing the engine. However such statistic is indicative of high power output being a factor in these crashes. There are many variables in each incident. With the propeller failures for example, were the propellers being used beyond an acceptable life? Had these propellers been flown often in conditions that caused degradation? The answers may then place responsibility on Aircraft owner/ Pilot judgement. Ultimately isn't Owner/Builder/Pilot Proficiency and Judgement the major factor in safety particularly in Homebuilt Aircraft?